Sunday, April 3, 2016

Paleo Low Calorie Apple Pie Microwave Mug Muffin!

Now this is the story all about how my pancakes turned just barely brown, so I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, and I'd like to tell you how I made a goddamn apple pie-flavored mug muffin in your microwave.
I had something going there...

So the odds are you've at least once stumbled across one of the many recipes for cakes and other baked goods you can make in the microwave, be them online, in magazines, or anywhere else. Cakes are tasty, and I certainly can't argue with that, but they're usually not very healthy. Sure, you might occasionally stumble across a nice low-calorie recipe, perhaps one that uses artificial sweetener or produces a serving size that barely constitutes a spoonful. Disappointing, no?

Yes. But be disappointed no more! As you've probably already seen with quite some profusion, I've made a hobby out of finding ways to make food that are tasty and healthy, and I dare say I've done it again, and all thanks to some failed flapjacks.

So the other day, I had some extra time in the morning, and decided I'd try to make some pancakes. If you've learned anything about me from this blog, it's probably that I make pretty much everything out of cabbage. This recipe involved some cabbage, an egg white, 2/3 cups applesauce, a little yogurt, spices, and baking powder. While the final product tasted great, it didn't really stay together in pancakes; it kind of just formed a crumble of sorts. An amorphous mass of breakfast on a plate. As I sat there, eating my breakfast mass, I thought the texture kind of reminded me of these mug cakes.

The next morning, I figured I'd put that to the test. I basically whipped up another batch of pancake batter, but halved every ingredient except for the egg white. Once all was well and mixed together, I put it in a mug and nuked the whole thing on high for 90 seconds. Well, 90 seconds wasn't quite enough, so I put it back in a couple times, each time for 30 more seconds, until it seemed more or less well cooked and set. I topped it with a little whipped cream(OK, not the healthiest thing, but it's like 90% air), and dug in. I'll try to put this simply.



It. Was. Amazing. It really had a cake-like texture and a sweet apple-cinnamon taste. The whole thing was a decent size and only totalled around 100 calories. Even though cabbage provided most of its bulk, it didn't make the cake taste like cabbage. Honestly, I don't think you'll believe me regarding how great this turns out until you try it, and I recommend you do so right away.



This recipe makes an apple pie flavored cake, with the taste of apple and cinnamon imparted to the recipe. The thing is, pretty much any flavor ideas can be used. Mashed banana with chocolate or plum and spice, the possibilities seem endless! And as with so many of the recipes on here, it would take minimal adjustments to make this recipe on Passover if you observe the holiday.

Apple Pie Muffin Microwave Mug Recipe

Serves: 1

Calories per serving: 100

Ingredients:

  • ~1/8 medium-large head cabbage(I think around 1/2 cup riced)
  • 3-6 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tbsp yogurt(Greek works well)(optional)
  • Ground cinnamon
  • Ground nutmeg
  • 1 large-extra large egg white
  • Drop of vanilla extract
  • Pinch baking powder

Instructions:

  1. Rice the cabbage. Add 3 tbsp applesauce to food processor and process further. Continue adding applesauce by the spoonfull until the mixture blends fairly smoothly. If you want to add yogurt, add before adding additional applesauce.
  2. Crack an egg and separate the white into a microwave-safe mug(do what you want with the yolk). Beat lightly with a fork. Add the cabbage mixture to the mug and mix the egg white in well.
  3. Add a drop of vanilla, as well as cinnamon and nutmeg as desired. Add the baking powder and mix well.
  4. Microwave on high for 1:30 - 2:00 and check for doneness. You can poke with a fork or toothpick to see if it is done on the inside. Put back in the microwave for 30 - 45 seconds at a time until done.
  5. Either remove from mug onto a plate or eat straight from the cup.

Troubleshooting:

I've made this recipe, and different variations of it, very many times. In doing so, I've found some problems that you may come across. The main one results from having a batter that's too wet, has too much baking powder, or too little egg white. Basically, when this happens, your cake won't set as a cake very well, and can very likely bubble over the mug you put it in. If this happens, don't fret, for all hope is not lost! Spoon the mixture to a larger microwave-safe bowl or container and give it around 5:00 on high. You'll end up with more of a sort of bread pudding than a cake, but it will still be a tasty and healthy breakfast/dessert treat.



Hey there. Still reading this? O.K., I don't want to say too much, since I don't know when I'll actually have a fully fledged blog post and recipe ready to publish on it, but I would just like to tell you that I made a very special breakfast for myself this morning, and will be sharing it with all of you sometime before Passover rolls around. Until then, happy cabbaging!

No comments:

Post a Comment